Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I am looking to travel in europe and USA next year. Is it cheaper to get internal flights or eurorail?

Anyone who has done it let me know. As in Oz we have opposite weather I can only really go at the end of winter...is it true USA is colder then parts of europe? my flight is set ie LA to NYC to London and Rome....or I can do it in reverse depending on the weather. I want to go to Germany, France, Spain, maybe Greece and Norway on a shoe string budget. Is it worth it to pay $$$ on eurorail or is it much easier to look around regardless of flights. Its so hard to plan having not been there.

For the USA..weather should be OK in May right? I see it as arrive in LA, greyhound across to the nexxt coast. Any travel tips? I am looking to travel in europe and USA next year. Is it cheaper to get internal flights or eurorail?
Without doing any investigation on the cost of a Eurorail ticket, I can at least give you some advice through some of my experiences. First, I'm an American who lives in Europe, and my husband and I travel around both sides of the Atlantic quite a bit. So, I think I can assure you that May will be a very good month to travel in America - especially if you start in L.A. If you're thinking about visiting places like Oklahoma, Kansas, and northern Texas, just be aware that April, May, and June are "tornado months" in those states.

Everywhere else in the U.S. will be beautiful during the time you'll be there.



As far as traveling around Europe on a shoestring, I suspect that your Eurorail is the best bet. I actually saw a young lady a couple of weeks ago even get to ride the bus on her Eurorail ticket (I live in Sweden), but I think it might have been because the bus driver wasn't sure whether or not bus trips were included in the Eurorail ticket. So, read up as much as you can about what is..and isn't ..included in the Eurorail ticket.



The reason I think Eurorail might be the best bet if for two reasons. First, you get to see more of the countries you'll be traveling through by looking out the window at the passing landscape. But, more importantly, "last minute" in-country flights are gastly expensive - at least they are here in Sweden.



The only exception might be if you are a student, and have the time to wait for an "on call" passenger seat. I've known young adults who have been able to get a seat on an in-country flight for less than 10 euros, but they had to wait around the airport all day long. So, how you spend your time is your choice - either 12 hours waiting for a cheap seat on a plane, or 10 hours from Stockholm to Piteć°“ (Sweden), for example, on a train with all the beautiful scenery going by.



Enjoy your trip! It sounds awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment