Friday, March 9, 2012

Bostonian taking 1st trip to Paris...I am looking for tips?

I'm going to Paris next month for the 1st time, and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers, where to go, what to avoid, etc. I'm going with a friend and we're 26. I know about the Lourve and all the big places. I'm more interested in places that are local favorites, or maybe you took a trip there and found a great little place? I'd like to go out at night to bars and clubs that are American friendly, just have a good time! I will be there for 7 days in the end of August. I really would appreciate any help. It doesn't need to be a bar or club, just a fun place you know of! Traveling tips would be nice as well. Also, does anyone know how long it takes to get to London from Paris via the Eurorail? I'm thinking of a day trip or an overnight, but I'm not sure if it's worth it timewise. Thanks!Bostonian taking 1st trip to Paris...I am looking for tips?
There's enough to see/do in Paris to easily take up your 7 days, but if you want to make a side trip, the TGV (high speed trains) will take you anywhere in France in just a few hours. My personal favorite recommendation would be to take the TGV from Gare de Lyon down to Aix-en-Provence or perhaps nearby Marseille.



Aix is a nice town - you can walk anywhere you need to go there and it's just fun and relaxing. You won't regret it. If you go instead to Marseille you'll get to see the Mediterranean, the fish market along the old port, and a great basilica way up on a hill above the city. You could choose to stay in one or the other place (I'd recommend Aix) and take the train for about 25 minutes for a day visit to the other one (that is, down to Marseille...).



Another alternative would be a couple of days on the Cote d'Azur, in Nice or Cannes, with a day trip to Monaco.



Now, none of that is near Paris - it would be a 3-4 hour TGV ride away, but after you've walked around for a couple of days in Paris you might appreciate a few hours off your feet on the TGV and a change of scenery.
Act as if you have been there long enough... and dont ever act like a newbie...



That will be the rule no.1Bostonian taking 1st trip to Paris...I am looking for tips?
watch out...they eat rabbit there...be careful what you eat!!!
viste this site:www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/J_-list鈥?

www.linkparis.com/places.htm
it takes a very very long time to get to london, you stay in bosnia, nice there !
Last time I was in England I took a couple of days for a side trip to Paris. World's most beautifiul city, I think -- though not all the people were too pleasant. I would recommend that you do a side trip to London, too. Hope you have as great a time as I had!!
The Eurostar takes about 1hour 40 mins, + you arrive in central London. Hope you got money as these 2 cities are not cheap.

I love London, and Paris is great, where to go i Dont know as i did all the tourist things.
The French people were very polite to me and my wife on our last trip to Paris. We always eat at small restaurants that locals patronize. The clubs are great. The Moulin Rouge is kitchy.
Take nose plugs or a gas mask, and a lot of patience. Paris is a beautiful city, it's the people that are the problem. Good luck finding anything or anyone that is American friendly. I would advise getting out of Paris and seeing the French countryside, the people are so different from the Parisites. :O}



I'm exaggerating, a bit, but do be careful, and thick skinned, and have fun.
You asked about day trips; don't miss Fontainebleau, southeast of Paris. It's an easy day trip in a rental car or locally available tour. When my wife and I did this, we were part of a tour, and enjoyed it immensely. On the way back to Paris, one stop we made was the writing home of a renowned author. I'm too old now to recall WHICH author; but you'll know him, and Parisian locals involved in travel will know which one immediately. Worth the short stop. Have fun!
I always recommend my favorite hangout in Paris, Aux Trois Mailletz at 56 Rue Galand in the 5th arr. There's a piano player and a singer every evening on the main floor. There's a cabaret show in the basement (which is much nicer than "basement" might sound) which is a blast from the past 1950's nightclub sort of thing. They serve pretty decent food and prices are reasonable. They are open until the sun comes up. Give it a try. Its really a great place.



The number one day trip from Paris is to Versailles. You can pay for tours or take the train there but the first is expensive and the second leaves you a serious hike to the Chateau. Instead, take the metro to Pont de Sevres and then go upstairs and take the bus. Its clearly marked and will drop you off at the front gate of Versailles. The bus stop back is just down the street one block. The bus portion can be paid for using three metro tickets (each way).



If you do visit Versailles don't limit yourself to the Chateau itself. The grounds are fabulous and you should walk to the Hameau de la Reine. This is the portion of the grounds that Marie Antoinette had designed and built for her parties. It includes a mock country village where the Queen and her courtiers would dress up like peasants (or at least their vision of peasants) and pretend to be ordinary people.



Pack a picnic lunch and make a day of it.
The most important thing is to try and speak some French..Even if you are pitiful at it.They hate it when you only speak English.

You will love it by the way.



If no one else mentioned it see the Museum of Modern Art



And Jim Morrisons grave
I grew up in Paris and I live in Los Angeles, but I go back frequently. Because of it, I put together an entire Web site to give people travel tips on Paris. So, feel free to go to:

http://www.myparistrips.com

You'll find a selection of top rated night clubs, interesting cafes, airport, metro and other transportation help, advice on a one-day excursion to London, which by the way is 2 hours and 50 minutes by Eurostar TGV (high speed train), and many other topics. What I have not written about so far, is all the major tourist spots that you already know about anyway. Other than that, I think you'll find lots of helpful tips to make your trip a blast!

In terms of excursions outside Paris (with castels, palaces, etc.) , there is a reason Versailles is best known. It's grand, and a nice one for your first time. So, set aside at least 6 hours of your vacation to go check it out if you think you might enjoy something like that.

You could also pack a lot into your 7-day vacation by going down to the French Riviera for a couple of days, but that's another story. Anyway, feel free to ask any other question you may have through my Web site. I'll be happy to answer as much as possible. Have a great trip.
Guess you should read our travel tips for paris then :)



Here is more info : http://www.travelmanual.info/visiting-pa鈥?/a>



You can also see the pictures.



About the London trip, I would say you can do it in the 6th night so that you come back to Paris for your last night. London is also a nice place but I am not sure if you will enjoy seeing just a bit of it, and not ALL. My advice : stay in Paris only.

Here is a travel tip for London too: http://www.travelmanual.info/visit-to-lo鈥?/a>



Hope I was helpful.



Regards,

alex
well "The French Are Always Nice To Me" but then I greet them in french and make an attempt at the language... american friendly eh?? try the english pubs like the Frog and Rosbif... but really with just 7 days you won't scratch the surface... general advise to see the "real" paris is to stay away from tourist areas... I stay in the 14eme for example... menu's (cartes actually) aren't in english :-}.... my favorite "tips" for first time Paris visitors is to visit the cathedral at St. Denis which is technically NOT in Paris but is in zone 1 on the metro so a regular metro ticket works and to visit the Musee de l'Ordre de la Liberation in the Invalides complex if you're into WW-II history... warning this museum caters to the french but is a great stop if you know a little about the subject and can read a little french.... have a crepe on the street... try a nutella crepe and you'll be hooked.
Be patient things are More relaxed over there. and don't expect everyone to speak English. as for good day trips I really enjoyed going to Versailles it's pretty close to Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment