Saturday, March 3, 2012

How do I travel through Italy?

I am going in May, and have my dates and cities lined up.

How can I manage to get from one city to the next?



Venice,

Pisa (Livorno)

Florence

Rome



I've looked at a Eurorail pass, but it is quite costly for the 3 days I will be travelling and the seat is not guaranteed. ($265USD)



I previously booked with SNCF when travelling in france, but I don't think it handles in Italy. What site could I use if I want flexibility, or should I book my trains on a schedule?How do I travel through Italy?
It is cheaper to buy individual tickets here than to use a railpass. You can find schedules and prices at: http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.js鈥?/a> . There are discounts for the fast trains for buying tickets in advance, but not for the slower, cheaper regional trains.



It would be more efficient to travel from Venice to Florence to Livorno to Rome - you'll have to change trains in Florence to get to Livorno anyway and there are direct trains from Livorno to Rome. This would save you travel time.How do I travel through Italy?
No, SNCF is France only. You can buy your train ticket at the station in Italy, and I don't think it will be anything like as expensive as the Eurail pass, which is really more suited to more days travelling.



Have you tried simply googling 'Italian railways'?

No comments:

Post a Comment