Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Eurorail choices for France/Switzerland/Italy?

Hi, I am going to be traveling in France.Switzerland and Italy very soon. I am going to Paris for one week. After Paris, I am taking the train with two other adults to Luzern for two nights, then onto Montreux for 2 nights, then onto Varenna via Milan. Is it cheaper for me to buy point to point tickets, use a saver pass or a swiss pass or combination of the above. Also can you combine rail passes with use of the Paris metro or do I need another pass or just buy a pack of 10 carnets as I go each day. I am not excited by how much it cost to train two hours and even the train is not high speed. Any high speed trains go from Paris to Luzern? On the lyrica it takes 3 hrs and 32 minutes. I was going to go to Dijon for two days prior to Montreux but wanted more time in the lakes so I am choosing to see Luzern, Montreux and Lake Como. Any advice? Prices and ideas?

P.S Anyone with hotel ideas in both Montreux and Luzern?Eurorail choices for France/Switzerland/Italy?
Within Switzerland I think it's usually worth it to get the Swiss Pass (in your case the Swiss Saver Pass), assuming you'll be doing stuff (boats, city buses, and most museums are all included, and mountain trains/cable cars are typically 50% off). Outside of Switzerland I don't know.

Paris metro: Don't know (my guess would be no)

No high speed trains direct to Lucerne, but it's a bit less than an hour from Zurich. I personally don't recommend you rush it though (the usual route goes through several tunnels), I'd take a boat to Thalwil and then the slow train to Zug, maybe a boat to Arth and then the Voralpen Express to Lucerne.



Also (since you like lakes and since I've convinced you on the SwissPass point) definitely check out the Brienzersee on your way to Montreux (it's out of the way).



Hotel Montana in Lucerne looks quite nice...Eurorail choices for France/Switzerland/Italy?
Buy a RailPass for the 3 countries (must be bought in US.

Rail Europe sell the Paris Metro pass.

No Paris-Luzern direct.

Go to Montreux first and go to Luzern after that, easy to go to Italy from Luzern.



My advice, since your are not a travel agent...go to a travel agency in your town, they can do all for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment